Friday, June 13, 2008

Thing #9

Either I am getting the hang of this or the "Things" are causing me to be like a sponge and absorb every thing possible. I could have stayed searching these sites for hours. I have already been looking for over two... Summer school started yesterday. I am teaching in the ESY program. I thought I was teaching cooking during rotations... yesterday I find out I am also teaching academics plus cooking. Know these students are life skills... I have never taught life skills. All of my experience has been in the Resource Classroom. Looking over their IEP's and life task I cried all the way home wondering what I had gotten myself into. Calling my mother, yes I still do that at 51... she listened and then gave her all so wonderful words of wisdom, " Connie, as always you know you will learn many lessons from them, now it is in your hands what lessons they will learn from you. There is reason for everything, make this experience the best you can for your students and yourself." OK I stopped whining and got to work. Which leads me to "Thing #9". I used this lesson to search for quality read-alouds that I can use with my ESY kiddos. I have been teaching only math for the past two years so I am a little rusty on current literature. Not anymore... I now have pages and pages of quality read-aloud titles and lesson ideas from scouring the many blogs sites that dealt with this topic. I found that Google Blog Search and Blogline's were two most user friendly and with the most information on my search. I could not get School Library Blog on Suprglu to ever come up. I was disappointed in that. It has been a successful day and it is only 9:30...

1 comment:

Book Nook Girl said...

I was also overwhelmed to find out how much you can learn from other blogs as well as how many blogs are out there! I am always looking for lists of good read-alouds, so I will have to do a little searching myself!